In 1827 a man named James D. Sheppard, Denton Cottier, & Daniels founder, brought Western New York it's first piano to Buffalo up the Erie Canal on a mule drawn boat. The old Eagle Tavern on Main Street was the first location for Sheppard to display his instruments. He later opened a store which is now the location for the Buffalo and Erie County Public Library, downtown branch.
During the 1850's, Hugh Cottier moved to Buffalo from New York City and was to become a partner with Sheppard. Later, in 1863, Robert Denton joined the firm. Sheppard's passing in 1867 saw the name of the firm changed to Cottier & Denton and it so remained for twenty years until 1887 when William Daniels was made the third partner.
Our facility was housed at a storefront at 32 Court Street for over a hundred years when in 1976 the entire business was relocated into a previous satellite store in the Northtown Plaza.
In 1999, Denton
Cottier & Daniels moved to our new and present home at 460 Dodge Road
in Getzville, New York.
We continue the tradition of showing and selling the finest pianos and organs available and have the privilege of being
"The Oldest Steinway Dealer in The World"!
The showroom has a special Steinway display room, a digital piano room, and a private, acoustically designed area for customers to "test drive" their chosen instrument.